Disney Princess is a marketing franchise created by the Walt Disney Company. Today it features a roster of ten popular Disney heroines from ten successful theatrically released animated feature films. The Disney Princesses are either born princesses , become princesses by marrying princes, or are included in the roster because of their princess-like qualities or significant portrayal of heroinism in their respective films.
The original Disney Princess roster, created in the early 2000s, included a total of six princesses: Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, and Jasmine. Pocahontas was later added to the roster because she is the daughter of a Native-American chief, and therefore considered "American royalty". On the other hand, Mulan, a Disney heroine who is not a princess by an means, was added to the roster because she saved an entire nation and is looked upon and regarded with very high status and appreciation. She also fits into the "mythology" aspect of the franchise. Disney's two newest princesses, Tiana (The Princess and the Frog; Disney's first African-American princess) and Rapunzel (Tangled; Disney's first computer-animated princess), were added to the franchise in 2009 and 2011 respectively.
Official Disney PrincessesEdit
|Name||First Appearance||Voice Actress(s)|
|Snow White||Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs||Adriana Caselotti|
|Aurora||Sleeping Beauty||Mary Costa|
|Ariel||The Little Mermaid||Jodi Benson|
|Belle||Beauty and the Beast||Paige O'Hara|
Linda Larkin (speaking)
Lea Salonga (singing)
Irene Bedard (speaking)
Judy Kuhn (singing)
Lea Salonga (singing)
|Tiana||The Princess and the Frog||Anika Noni Rose|
Unofficial Disney PrincessesEdit
- Wendy Darling
- Tinker Bell
- Maid Marian
- Jane Porter
- Vanellope von Schweetz
- Snow White, created in 1937, is the first Disney Princess. At the age of fourteen, Snow White is the youngest Disney Princess. Out of all the Disney Princesses, she wears the least amount of outfits and has the shortest hair. She was also the only Disney Princess to be seen cooking until Tiana in 2009, and the only Disney Princess to have black hair until Jasmine in 1992.
- Cinderella, created in 1950, is the second Disney Princess and the first out of three to not be born a princess. Cinderella was also the first Disney Princess to have blonde hair. Though, she was originally a strawberry blonde.
- Aurora, created in 1959, is the third Disney Princess. She was the first and only Disney Princess to have both her parents present during her film until Mulan in 1998.
- Ariel, created in 1989, is the fourth Disney Princess. She is the first and only Disney Princess to have red hair, the first and only Disney Princess to have spent most of her life underwater, the first and only Disney Princess to have made a complete physical transformation until Tiana in 2009, and the first Disney Princess to become a mother. She was also Disney's first fairy tale heroine in thirty years, and the first Disney Princess to save her love-interest.
- Belle, created in 1991, is the fifth Disney Princess. She is the first and only Disney Princess to have brown hair, the first and only Disney Princess to have hazel eyes, the first and only Disney Princess to marry a prince who was not human for a large portion of his life, and the final Disney Princess to have the same actress provided her speaking and singing voices until Tiana in 2009.